If you could compare yourself to any fictional character, who would it be? Most of the time I feel like the little red hen. You know about her right? She did all of the cooking, housework, yard work and even gardening. Her household companions were too lazy to help with any of the work.
I remember
as a child, whenever my siblings and I started complaining about our chores, or
that we had nothing to eat, my mom would tell us a story. It was always the
story of the little red hen. (I’m fairly
certain that her mother used this tactic on her as a kid!!)
Have you
heard the story? It was written by Paul Galdone in 1979, and is a classic
folktale of vindication, or at least a good lesson learned. The story starts
with a little red hen and her housemates (dog, cat and mouse) and they won’t do
anything, so she has to do all the work. One day she finds some wheat and wants
to make something yummy with it, so she asks for help. Each step she asks and
at each turn they reply “Not I”. Until finally she asks who will help her EAT
the bread, at that they reply “I will”, but she doesn’t let them because they
didn’t help her before. The moral of the tale is to help out so you can get the
reward (Galdone, 1979).
My mother
told us that story probably a million times. Then we would have our little red
hen experience. My mom would ask for help, and if we helped we got a treat, if
not, she would eat the treat herself. It was always something delicious too.
Now that I
am a mother, I have these little red hen moments too. When life gets crazy and
the kids start getting lazy, we read the story of the little red hen, just to
get the point across. So for a few months at least the kids are helpful and
kind. Unfortunately this is a lesson that needs to be taught A LOT!! That’s ok
though, because I just love the story and the moral that it teaches.
It doesn’t
just teach the kids that they need to help out around the house in order to get
reward. It teaches how to build character. It teaches the necessity of
cleanliness, hard work, serving one another, and sharing. It teaches that being
lazy isn’t a good thing, but that hard work brings satisfaction. It teaches that
working together for something is priceless.
When I read
that story, sometimes I feel like the little red hen is almost sad that she has to
eat the bread herself. She wants her family to help and take part, but she had
to teach them a hard lesson. Just one time I want to read the story of little red hen and see the change in her family, and watch them all able to eat the bread
together at the end. Maybe it
could go something like this….
Once upon a time a cat, a dog, a mouse and a little red hen
all lived together in a cozy little house. The cat liked to sleep all day on
the soft couch. The dog like to nap all day on the sunny back porch. And the
mouse like to snooze all day in the warm chair by the fireside. So the little
red hen had to do all the housework. She cooked the meals and washed the dishes
and made the beds. She swept the floor and washed the windows and mended the
clothes. She raked the leaves and mowed the grass and hoed the garden. One day
when she was hoeing the garden she found some grains of wheat. ‘Who will plant
this wheat?’ cried the little red hen. ‘Not I’ said the cat. ‘Not I’ said the
dog. ‘Not I’ said the mouse. ‘Then I will’ said the little red hen. And she
did. Each morning the little red hen watered the wheat and pulled the weeds.
Soon the wheat pushed through the ground and began to grow tall. When the wheat
was ripe, the little red hen asked ‘Who will cut this wheat?” (Galdone, 1979)
… noticing
all of the hard work that little red hen was doing, the dog said “I will help
you cut the wheat”. When they had finished cutting the wheat the little red hen
asks “Who will take this wheat to the mill to be ground into flour?” Seeing how
much fun hen and dog were having, cat volunteered to help. When cat brought
back the flour, little red hen asks “Who will make a cake from this fine white
flour?” The mouse loved to smell all the yummy things little red hen baked and
wanted to help out. So the little red hen and mouse made a cake, and put it in
the oven. As the delicious smell of the cake wafted through the house, cat,
dog, mouse and little red hen were anxious to eat the cake. “Who will eat this
cake?” asks the little red hen when it is done baking. “I will” they all cried.
The little red hen said “I planted the wheat, but dog helped me cut the wheat,
and cat helped turn it into flour, and mouse helped me make the cake- so yes,
we will all eat the cake!” And they all shared the cake, and continued to work
together and help each other out.
Now wouldn't that be a great ending to the story?
photo from www.jdstoneart.com/little-red-hen
Galdone, P. (1979). The Little Red Hen. New York, NY. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.
No comments:
Post a Comment